Monday, May 10, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Euclid's Chicken Stinger Sandwich


Who: The Euclid What: Chicken Stinger Sandwich
Where: Route 31, Clay Phone: 622-2750 Website: The Euclid
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
The later in the week it gets, the less likely it is that I’m going to cook. There are many places to eat between Christine’s work and home so, often it is just easier to stop and let someone else do the cooking. On Friday when I picked up Christine from work, we headed out towards Route 31 in search of somewhere to eat. We’re not really fans of the “big box” restaurants so we are always looking for a mom and pop type place to eat.
     The Euclid restaurant is very much like a diner with large portions and reasonable prices. You probably aren’t going to have the best meal you’ve ever eaten here but we’ve never had a bad meal there. It was packed when we got inside but were seated immediately in their upstairs dining room. We scanned our menus and Christine knew she would have the clam strips which always taste fresh. I had some trouble finding something I really wanted but found something on the sandwich menu that caught my eye.
     The Chicken Stinger sandwich was the only original sandwich on a menu filled with sandwiches that most diners carry. Chicken breast, peppers, cheddar cheese, onion rings, tomato, lettuce, and chipotle sauce made up what would be a colossal sandwich when closed. When it came to the table I was thrown off a bit when I saw a fried butter flied chicken breast. I though it would be a grilled chicken breast, but the description didn’t specify so I guess there wasn’t a reason to second guess.
    It is hard to see but the cheese melded the onions rings to the chicken. You can also see how large the sandwich is when closed. I almost had to dislocate my jaw to get my mouth around it but was able to get a few bites in before everything fell apart. The chipotle sauce, which had a smoky and spicy flavor, made everything slide off the bread so I resorted to using a fork and knife for the rest. The roll was toasted with butter which gave it a crunch, not something you see everywhere, was appreciated. The peppers were roasted red peppers, which were not fresh, tasted like they came out of a jar or a can. My guess is a jar because they didn’t have the metallic taste that vegetables can get from being stored in cans. The fried chicken breast was lightly breaded and was cooked perfectly but was kind of greasy. The cheddar cheese and onion rings added quite a bit of extra grease; paired with the chicken breast this sandwich was turning into a heart attack on a plate. If not for the lettuce and tomato, this would be a more of an unhealthy sandwich than it already was. I managed to eat about half of it before the greasiness was just too much for me to handle. It was too bad the chicken wasn’t grilled because I would have like to have eaten the whole thing.
Rating: Satisfying – I was hoping for grilled chicken, perhaps that change would have made it better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment