Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Spera's Chicken Salad

Who: Spera's What: Chicken Salad
Where: Route 31, Cicero Phone: 699-4422‎ Website: Spera's
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     The second sandwich I forgot about was eaten on the last day of the month when I decided I didn’t want the soup I brought to work for lunch. I decided to hit up Spera’s for a sandwich since it is close and good. This is my third review of Spera’s and if you’ve read the other two you will remember that there was one good review and one not so good. Spera’s redeemed themselves after the first review and I was hoping this trip would continue the upward trend. In the first review I got seafood salad which was very bland but because I love “salads” I went with another one only this time I chose chicken. I ran the risk of having a bland sandwich again but I figured the first time had to be a fluke or nobody would buy their food. Learning from past orders, I only got a half of a sandwich because it equals more than a sandwich using regular sandwich bread from the store. I ordered it on rye, added shredded lettuce and American cheese to the chicken salad, and crossed my fingers as I headed back to work.
     As you can see, I almost forgot to take a picture but realized it after a few bites. Thick chunks of chicken mixed with celery, dressing, and some light seasoning were sandwiched between two slices of American cheese. I liked the way they put a slice on either side of the salad so the dressing didn’t soak into the bread. Shredded lettuce on top added some crunch but I honestly didn’t taste much of it because the salad was packed with flavor. Unlike the seafood salad, the chicken was seasoned when it was cooked and then seasoned again after being mixed into the dressing. Cubing the chicken is essential when making this sandwich because if you shred it, you lose a lot of the flavor especially once the mayo is added. Rye bread is by far the best deli sandwich bread and most salads, like this one, taste great on it. I was very happy with the taste of the sandwich and even happier with the $3 price tag.
Rating: Tasty – I love Spera’s and their sandwiches

No comments:

Post a Comment