Monday, September 27, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Spera's Egg Salad

Who: Spera's What: Turkey Sub
Where: Route 31, Cicero Phone: 699-4422‎ Website: Spera's
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     I have been craving egg salad for about a month but I haven’t had it because I’m too lazy to make it myself. Peeling the shells off of they eggs is tedious and I guess that’s what’s stopping me. It’s sad that I can’t bring myself to just boil water and peel some shells. Luckily, Spera’s has egg salad and while I haven’t had it from there before, I figured it couldn’t be that bad. I figured if they screwed up egg salad, one of the simplest salads to make, then they shouldn’t be in the deli business. I put my order in with one of my coworkers and waited anxiously for my sandwich to arrive. My order was egg salad on rye with lettuce. Very simple, like the egg salad and I order it this way every time regardless of where I go.
     When my received my sandwich, I was blown away at the thickness of the sandwich. Usually you have a thin layer of salad spread between two slices of bread and the bread dominates in terms of flavor. This was defiantly not the case with this sandwich. The hard boiled eggs were cut up into large chunks and mixed with just enough mayo to keep from falling apart. The mistake most places make is using way too much mayo which not only distracts from the main ingredient but I terrible for you. The eggs were boiled to perfection with the whites being soft and the yolk being creamy. The lettuce comes shredded opposed to a whole leaf which took away from the crunchy texture that I was going for but it worked to some extent. The light rye was flavorful and I think it is the best choice for any deli sandwich but especially egg salad. I added some salt and pepper to taste which made this the best egg salad I’ve ever had. Brooklyn Pickle’s egg salad, which I love, has been dethroned. The simplicity of the egg salad itself is what won me over. Most places over complicate it by putting in chopped onion, celery, or even olive.
Rating: Delicious – If you like egg salad, you must try Spera’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment