Friday, October 22, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Johnny Rocket's Chicken Club

Who: Johnny Rockets What: Chicken Club
Where: Carousel Mall, Syracuse Phone: 474-7406 Website: Johnny Rockets
Parking: Shared lots Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     Christine had been craving a grilled cheese from Johnny Rockets so when we were at the mall earlier this week we decided to fill that craving. It was a few minutes after five and the mall wasn’t really busy so we had no problem getting a seat when we walked in. I didn’t really know what I wanted even after having the waitress give us a few minutes to decide. Christine ordered quickly and I was forced to make a quick decision. I thought about getting grilled cheese because it is so tasty, but I also thought about the blog so I had to pick something else. I ended up picking the Chicken Club but wasn’t really satisfied with that choice. I was hoping it would be as good as the BBQ Chicken Bacon Melt that I reviewed back in June. We received our very acidic lemonades and our order came out shortly thereafter since the place was pretty dead.
     A club sandwich is a meat in between two slices of bread with bacon, tomato, and lettuce piled on top with another slice of bread on top of that. Obviously other toppings could be in place of the regulars but Johnny Rockets stays with the classic style. The sandwich comes on toasted white bread with a smear of mayo under the top slice of bread. The vegetables tasted fresh while the bacon was warm and salty. The disappointing factor in this sandwich was the chicken breast. I could taste that it was frozen chicken, not that it was fresh and then frozen, but cooked and then frozen like you can buy in the store. I know the BBQ Chicken Bacon Melt had the same kind of chicken but the other flavors masked the cheap taste of the precooked breast. I don’t think precooked chicken breast can stand up on its own when it has to be the star. I can’t expect much from an almost fast food type place but I had the feeling when I ordered this sandwich that I would be let down and I was. I ate one half of the sandwich and took out the chicken breast in the second half leaving me a mock BLT.
Rating: Edible – The third time wasn’t a charm, but first and second were so I won’t give up on JR’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment