Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Bruegger's Turkey Chipotle Club

Who: Bruegger's What: Turkey Chipotle Club
Where: West Taft Road, North Syracuse Phone: 458-17755 Website: Bruegger's
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No 
     Since Christine and I both had the holiday off on Monday, we decided it would be a good day to sleep in. This caused us to not leave the house until about 11 a.m. but we still “had” to get breakfast. Christine needed coffee and I didn’t want to go to a diner because we had things to do before poker started at 6 p.m. Christine came up with Bruegger’s which was a great idea since we both love bagels. When I got there however, I noticed they have expanded their sandwich menu and even bake loaves of bread in house. I couldn’t pass up an opportunity to grab a sandwich and while I could get a sandwich on a bagel, I opted to try one of the new breads. I ordered the Turkey Chipotle Club which is made up of turkey, peppered bacon, chipotle mayo, lettuce & tomatoes on honey wheat bread. The loaf of honey wheat bread was huge, as were the slices that were used to build the sandwich. Christine went with a bagel and we split a rice crispy treat.
    The picture above does the size of the sandwich absolutely no justice. The slices of bread were about six inches long and an inch thick. Compared to the bread, the fillings were barely equal in thickness to just one slice. This would have been a recipe for disaster but the honey wheat bread was very airy and light. The crust of the bread was very chewy so I didn’t eat most of it. There wasn’t a ton of flavor to the bread, I couldn’t taste much sweetness that the honey was supposed to bring nor did I taste the earthy wheat flavor. The turkey was your basic 99% fat free that you can buy at any deli counter. It tasted okay but I would have like to have seen some roasted type of turkey instead. The lettuce and tomato tasted fresh despite it no longer being the peak of tomato season. The bacon was crisped up on a Panini grill giving the sandwich some warmth. Unfortunately the girl making it jammed all the pieces in the middle of the sandwich. This could have been easily fixed but it took some maneuvering since the chipotle mayo was keeping every stuck together. Speaking of the mayo, it could have been spicier but it reminded me a lot of Panera’s chipotle mayo which I love. All in all it was an okay sandwich and even with better execution wasn’t going to get any better that that.
Rating: Satisfying – While I’m happy Bruegger’s is in the sandwich game, they need practice and lots of it

No comments:

Post a Comment