Monday, January 10, 2011

Syracuse Sandwich: Ale 'N' Angus's Bixby's Prime Rib Cheese Steak

Who: Ale 'N' Angus What: Bixby's Prime Rib Cheese Steak
Where: Harrison Street, Syracuse Phone: 
426-9672 Website: Ale 'N' Angus
Parking: Street Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No      
     We had tickets to the SU basketball game given to us by Christine’s mom that came with a parking pass so we decided to go out to dinner before the game. My original plan was to go to Ale N’ Angus near the War Memorial but because there was a Crunch game the same night I switched my plan to Varsity Pizza in Marshall Square. However, there were no parking spots anywhere close to Marshall Square that weren’t in pay to park lots. I got annoyed at the idea of having to pay $5+ to park and eat so I changed focus back to Ale N’ Angus and took a chance at getting a table. We walked in and the bar was busy but the dining room was empty, but they had no free tables because of reservations. We just wanted to eat so we sat right at the bar and ordered. Christine went with the featured three cheeseburger; their burgers are what they’re famous for. I mulled over the sandwich menu and ultimately went with Bixby’s prime rib cheese steak. I was hesitant on doing this because I haven’t had many good cheese steaks in Syracuse. Luckily for me this one really turned out great.
     It doesn't look like I got much but the richness of the prime rib meat used was quite filling. The meat was very tender and not dried out which happens often when using cheap cuts of meat. Unlike most cheese steaks, this one only had onions opposed to both onions and green peppers. The onions were sautéed making them soft but still had some bite left to them. The American cheese was so melted; I originally thought it was a cheese whiz type spread that I’ve had in Pennsylvania. I really liked the extra step they took in grilling the inside of the bread where the meat and everything was going to be placed. This keeps the juices from soaking in the bread making it soggy. The French bread that it was served on had a slightly crunchy crust and a warm and chewy crumb. After we finished our meals, we were able to enjoy a quick ride up to the dome and watch the Orange crush Colgate.
Rating: Delicious – Best cheese steak in Syracuse, and their burgers aren’t bad either.

No comments:

Post a Comment