Friday, November 5, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: McDonald's McRib

Who: McDonald’s What: McRib
Where: Route 31, Cicero Phone: 698-1134
‎ Website: McDonalds
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No     
     After a botched attempt to make overnight baked French toast, Christine and I had to venture out to find something to eat for dinner. We decided to go shopping first and on our way back into Cicero, grab something quick from McDonald’s. I knew I was going to order the much talked about McRib sandwich when we pulled up to the drive up window. Christine went with her usual two cheeseburger meal, number four, if anyone cares. Christine loves McDonald’s and everything they have there for the most part but she doubted my choice. I didn’t listen and went ahead and ordered it. For those of you who don’t know what the McRib is, it is pressed pork in the shape of ribbed meat slathered in bbq sauce topped with onion and pickles on a seeded bun. I ordered it for three reasons: they haven’t had it on the menu in years, I’ve never had one, and I needed to review it.
     We drove our meals home and ate them over an episode of Criminal Minds. I opened the box holding what is suppose to be one of the greatest menu items that McDonald’s has ever had and began the McRib experience. Right off the bat I was disappointed after the first bite. The bun reminded me of the buns from Burger King which I don’t care for. The meat patty was bland as all get out and the bbq sauce that coated it followed suit. The only thing I could taste was the overwhelming vinegar flavor from the pickles. I normally like a pickle slice or two on a burger but there were a handful of them on top of the rib meat. The onions were nonexistent in flavor, probably masked by the pickles. Once I finished the sandwich, I was left disappointed and confused as to why these are supposedly so popular. I ate my crispy golden fries in an attempt to salvage a poor meal.
Rating: Edible – I guess I don’t get the hype.

No comments:

Post a Comment