Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Pappas Bakery Haddock Sandwich


Who: Pappas Bakery What: Haddock Sandwich
Where: Route 57, Liverpool Phone: 457-4039 Website: None
Parking: Shared Lots Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     The last Friday of Lent was also the first full day of being on our new computer system at work. Needless to say it was one hell of a day. Luckily for me Christine’s parents had picked up haddock sandwiches for dinner and were saving one for me for when I finally got out. I found out they were from Pappas Bakery in Liverpool, and that was probably the only good news I had gotten all day. Every Friday last year for Lent,  when I was living in Liverpool, I hit up Pappas for a haddock sandwich and coleslaw. But when I got to Christine's parents' house,not only was there coleslaw, but there was also French fries, onion rings, and macaroni salad. Along with some tartar sauce this sandwich is best for the money when it comes to haddock in Syracuse.

     A large golden piece of still crispy fish, even after sitting in the bag for over an hour, was just what I needed on Friday. Pappas gets their fish delivered fresh every Friday morning and only serves their fish on Fridays. I’m not sure what they use for a breading but they don’t use a lot of it, just enough to cover the fish and crisp it up. I appreciate not eating all breading like you would at a fast food place. The fish was light and flavorful and had no greasy after taste. Since they are a bakery as well, as expected they bake their own rolls. The rolls are airy yet chewy and go really well with the crunch of the fish. They aren’t very thick so you get a lot of fish with each bite. The only thing I wished they served with the fish was a lemon wedge but that’s more of a personal preference than the way it should be done.
Rating: Tasty - I wish Pappas was closer to my house,

No comments:

Post a Comment