Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Turkey from home


     One of my homemade sandwiches from home this week is a turkey sandwich on light rye bread with mayo and Swiss cheese. If you read my last homemade sandwich post, you’ll remember me saying I don’t like Wegmans brand deli items as much as I do Boar’s Head. Well I decided to give Wegmans another try thinking it may all be in my head. I went with Wegmans brand 98% fat free turkey and their Swiss cheese. The light rye bread is from the bakery section and I think this was the worst part of the sandwich. I have purchased rye from them before and it was drier than the loaf I have this time. Normally bread shouldn’t be dry but the loaf I have now is as soft as regular sandwich bread. If I wanted white bread I would have bought some. Like I said before, I need to find a bakery to buy my sandwich bread from.

     Back to the turkey and Swiss, these weren’t much better. I mean they aren’t horrible and I used to eat them as a kid but since finding better quality meats and cheeses, it is hard to go back. The turkey is packed with water which makes it quite wet. If it were not for the mayo, the turkey would ‘”sog” up the bread. The Swiss has almost no bite to it as most swiss cheese does. It is very bland and doesn’t have any holes like one would expect. This sandwich was okay but I know I could do a lot better.

No comments:

Post a Comment