Monday, February 22, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Sardo's Haddock Sandwich

Who: Sardo's What: Haddock Sandwich
Where: Route 31, Cicero Phone: 699-6955 Website: none
Parking: Shared lots Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: Yes

     Lent has started which means I can get plenty of fresh haddock sandwiches on Fridays. Luckily for me there are quite a few places near both my work and my home that serve the light and flakey fish known as haddock. This past Friday I wasn't feeling macaroni and cheese or peanut butter and jelly which are my usual standbys for Fridays during lent. So I decided to try Sardo's which advertises themselves as a pizza and fish fry establishment.


     I entered Sardo's a little after 1:30 and to my surprise there was nobody else in there. I decided that it was kind of late to expect a lunch rush but I expected atleast some kids to be hanging out in there after grabbing a slice or somthing since school was out last week. It only took a few minutes for me to get my sandwich which was packed on a plate inside a paper bag. I opened the package when I got back to work and was amazed at the size of the fish. It was certainly long but was kind of on the thin side. The breading that they used was nice and crispy and didn't absorb a lot of the oil that a thick breading normally does. The lack of grease was generous on the stomach which I appreciated being at work and all. The roll that it came on was nice and airy but a bit too chewy for my taste. I think a smaller roll would have complimented the haddock a bit more because of how thin it was. I felt like I was eating mostly bread, which wouldn't normally bother me if it was really good bread, but it wasn't. The sandwich doesn't come with any additional sides but does come with a good amount of tartar sauce. The sauce was a little heavy on the mayo but had a nice tang to it. I would have liked to have seen a lemon wedge thrown in, to squeeze over the fish. All in all for $6 it is not a bad sandwich for the money but certainly not the best haddock sandwich for your money in Syracuse.
Rating: Satisfying - For a place with fish fry in the name I was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment