Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Colts lose but do we all win?

     As I watched Peyton throw a pick six in the fourth quarter I knew my team was going to lose Sunday night to the New Orleans Saints. As hurt as I was, I knew that it was just a game and that next year could bring better results. Over the past few weeks I read article after article about the game, the teams, and their respective cities. As most of you know New Orleans has a very rich food heritage that includes dishes such as gumbo, Cajun blackened fish, and beignets just to name a few. Indianapolis on the other hand...not so much. Sure they have St. Elmo's Steakhouse and an open faced sandwich called a horseshoe which is essentially cheese fries on meat and bread. But, people aren't clamoring for cuisine from Indy as they are from The Big Easy.
     So what I bring to you my friends are two sandwiches: one from Indy, one from New Orleans. In many online polls New Orleans took the sandwich crown but I say not so fast. I think that everyone should sit down make both of these and really try them before making their judgement. So without further ado, your choices:
     First, the Po Boy from New Orleans:
     This tasty treat is traditional submarine sandwich in Louisiana usually filled with fried oysters, shrimp, or other seafood. Often served with mustard either regular or cajun-style. Served on Louisiana French bread, which I think is the key to the greatness of this sandwich, the interior is very light and airy while the outside is very crunchy. This is certainly a sandwich to contend with but up next is one that interests me very much.
     The Pork Tenderloin Sandwich from Indianapolis:

      I find this sandwich much more appealing. While this picture doesn't really do it justice, I feel that pork tenderloin is one of the best meats around. You take pork tenderloin and pound it out to about 1/4 inch thickness then bread it with your favorite bread crumb recipe. The next part is key to this sandwich, you MUST deep fry the breaded cutlet. If you pan fry it you are making wiener schnitzel. Toppings include lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, and either mayo or mustard. This sandwich can be made with fresher ingredients here in Syracuse than the Po Boy.
     Whether you like the Po Boy or the Pork Tenderloin Sandwich, we all win when it comes to having a great sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment