Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Coppertop Tavern’s Los Cabos Chicken Sandwich


Who: Coppertop Tavern What: Los Cabos Chicken Sandwich
Where: Route 11, North Syracuse Phone: 
458-1999 Website: Coppertop 
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     My dad got me a gift card to Coppertop Tavern for my birthday which would save me a night of cooking. I had another gift card for Coppertop with $1.82 left on it as well. I thought Friday night would be a good time to use them after a long week at work. We arrived around 5:40 and they said 45 – 50 minutes wait time; we took a menu and scanned it over while we waited. I knew I had to get a sandwich even though Coppertop’s menu has a ton of variety. They make great pizzas and their pasta dishes have impressed us when we’ve had them. They have a ton of appetizers but none that interested us that night. When I read the description for the Los Cabos Chicken Sandwich, I knew this was going to be my dinner. All of their sandwiches are made on hand stretched dough baked daily according to the menu. I love their bread so even if they buy it, I don’t care. Despite the restaurant being packed, our food came out within 15 minutes.
     Did I forget to mention the portions are HUGE? Christine’s shepherd’s pie was the size of a football and my sandwich encompassed the entire plate. In between the crunchy slices of hand stretched bread sat cut up grilled chicken, guacamole, salsa, Santa Fe dressing, black bean spread, and homemade cheese spread. Because of my love of dip-like spreads, I could have eaten this without the chicken and still would have been happy. But with the grilled chicken mixed in, I couldn’t get enough of this sandwich. Only problem was there was so much of it, I couldn’t finish it. After I got through the first half and a good amount of my shoestring fries, I only had room left in my stomach for a few bites of the second half. Christine faced the same problem with her meal so we got boxes and took the rest home. It’s hard for me to dissect the ingredients to comment on each one, due to them being spreads they mixed together. Each on their own may not be great but together they blend for a smoky southwest flavor that is hard to find anywhere in Syracuse.
Rating: Delicious – Coppertop has something good going, keep it up.

1 comment:

  1. All of their bread is actually made fresh. Whacky right?

    ReplyDelete