Friday, October 22, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Liberty Deli's Turkey Pastrami

Who: Liberty Deli What: Turkey Pastrami
Where: Irving Avenue, Syracuse Phone: 476-8214 Website: None
Parking: Shared Lots Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     I miss going to Liberty Deli on a monthly basis as I used to when I worked on the boulevard. Luckily for me I was downtown at a training session so during my lunch break I was able to swing by and pick up a cheap sandwich. I was tempted to drive out to Brooklyn Pickle, which I still haven’t reviewed, but this was closer and it was on the way to my old branch where I wanted to check out the remodeling that is being done. When I walked into Liberty, a guy was lingering around the counter but says he wasn’t ready to order so I was able to swoop right in and put my order in. I got caught off guard by him letting me go because I didn’t really know what I wanted either. But I went with a safe choice that I have gotten many times, turkey pastrami on marble rye. Turkey pastrami is one of my favorite meats and I happened to come across it by accident when Liberty was out of regular pastrami one day. While I still love regular pastrami, turkey pastrami is lighter and better for you. To complete my sandwich I added lettuce, onions, and mayo.
     If you read my last review of Liberty you’ll remember that Harrison Bakery supplies their bread and that last time the crust was too tough. This time the crust was fine and the crumb fluffy like before. The turkey pastrami was Boar’s Head brand which by now, if you read my blog, is the best brand of deli meat. The curing process gives the turkey a peppery flavor but doesn’t overwhelm or take away from the turkey taste. If anything it just enhances the turkey and makes it just that much more flavorful. The mayo gave the sandwich the little bit of moisture that it needed while the lettuce and onions provided the crunchy texture with some added bite from the onions. I was happy with my sandwich and for $4 it was certainly worth the cost.
Rating: Tasty – I’m glad I was able to get my Liberty fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment