Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Subway's Turkey Jalapeño Melt

Who: Subway What: Turkey Jalapeño Melt
Where: Route 31, Cicero Phone: 699-6700 Website: Subway
Parking: Shared Lot Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No

     August must have been a complete blur for me because I just remembered another sandwich that I had. Thinking back on it, there were some reasons for me to forget this one in particular. I get out of work late on Fridays so Christine and I often pick up something quick on the way home; this was the case a couple of Fridays ago. For whatever reason I thought going to Subway would be a good idea when Spera’s is right across the street. Christine isn’t a huge sandwich fan but likes the meatball subs on Italian herb and cheese bread. So we walk into a virtually empty dining area and order almost immediately. I scanned the menu looking for something new to try when I come across the Turkey Jalapeño Melt. 
     The blueprint for this sandwich is sliced turkey breast, Monterey cheddar cheese, jalapenos, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers, red onions and Chipotle Southwest sauce. Now if you have ever been to Subway, you know that they don’t make them like the picture shows, they want to know what you want on it. Since I wanted it the way they intended, I was forced to look at the picture and attempt to reconstruct the sandwich as it showed on the menu board. For the type of bread I went with Italian herb and cheese because even though it is terrible for me, it is one of the only fresh ingredients Subway uses.
     I didn’t take a picture of this sandwich but if you want, just type subway sandwich into Google and you’ll know what it looks like since they all look the same. We only live down the road from Subway so our subs were still warm once we sat down to eat them; this was probably the only redeeming quality of my meal. I like my food to have some kick to it but I think the girl making my sub was trying to kill me by putting twelve jalapeno slices per half of my sub. Twelve! I picked about half of them off and continued eating. The vegetables were less than fresh and I could tell they had been sitting in a walk in fridge for a while. What makes me mad is that you can see the ingredients in the containers that clearly have frost on them and they don’t see anything wrong with that. It may just be me but I think their bread isn’t what it used to be but it could be this particular location. The Monterey cheese, turkey, and southwest sauce were only mildly better tasting than the vegetables. As I said the last time I reviewed Subway, it’s my own fault for not going across the street to Spera’s.
Rating: Edible – Why people think this place tastes good it beyond me.

1 comment:

  1. Mike tried this sandwich too (without the southwest sauce) and I thought his face was going to melt off because of those jalapenos! He was pretty disappointed because the pictures look like there is a cheese sauce on it instead of the shredded cheese. We miss you guys!
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete