Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Syracuse Sandwich: Wendy's Asiago Chicken Club

Who: Wendy's What: Spicy Chicken Sandwich
Where: Circle Drive, Cicero Phone: 458-1722 Website: Wendy's
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     If you read this blog often, you’ll know that we will usually go to McDonald’s if we’re getting fast food. However, I like to switch it up and go to Wendy’s every once in a while because I love their Spicy Chicken Sandwich, which I’ve reviewed. So when Wendy’s came out with the Asiago Chicken Club, I knew I had to try it. Upon arriving at the drive thru, I noticed you can get the sandwich with the grilled, home-style, or spicy chicken. Naturally I went with the Spicy Chicken because as I have argued in the past, it is the only thing to buy from Wendy’s other than the Frosty. Along with a Mr. Pibb Xtra, a rare find in Syracuse, and some of their new sea salt fresh cut fries, I raced home with my sandwich eager to try what could be brilliance on Wendy’s part.
     Served on Wendy’s signature potato bread buns, a spicy chicken fillet is topped with strips of applewood-smoked bacon, a slice of Asiago cheese, ranch dressing, lettuce, and sliced tomatoes. I knew before biting into this possibly great sandwich that it was going to be at least a tasty one. My first bite was a big one just to make sure I got a little of everything. As expected, it tasted good but it wasn't wowing me even with all the extras compared to the regular spicy chicken sandwich. Sure, the chicken fillet was juicy and had plenty of heat and all of the ingredients worked together but I felt disappointed. I think it’s because I built it up too much in my head beforehand. The bacon was salty, the ranch was tangy, and the fresh taste of the veggies took the edge off of the saltiness from the chicken and bacon. The cheese was the most puzzling piece of this sandwich puzzle. I love Asiago cheese and it usually packs a full flavored nutty taste but because of the small, thin piece that was on my sandwich, I barely got any of that great flavor. I finished the sandwich in little time so obviously I enjoyed it to some extent but I wished it had been better.
Rating: Tasty – Even with extras, the Spicy Chicken Sandwich tastes great.

No comments:

Post a Comment