Monday, March 1, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: Denny's Moons Over My Hammy

Who: Denny's What: Moons Over My Hammy
Where: Route 11, Cicero Phone: 452-9021 Website: Denny's
Parking: Yes Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No

     After watching SU beat down Nova late into Saturday night, sleeping in the following morning was definitely in the cards. The problem with sleeping in is that not many places serve breakfast after 11am. We had to go grocery shopping so we would have to stop somewhere along the way. Denny's was on the way and they serve breakfast all day so they were a perfect fit. Even at 11:30 the place was mobbed, I'm guessing because of the late Syracuse win and the Sunday morning church goers. We were able to get a big booth fit for at least six people for just the two of us. I had already had two sandwiches out this past weekend so I figured why not a third. Unfortunately, Denny's only has two breakfast sandwiches to pick from and the Grand Slamwich is greasy enough that just the sight of it would give even the finest skin a breakout. So I went with the other, and that is the Moons Over My Hammy. Before our food arrived we saw my brother lumbering around outside of the kitchen and did a double take when he saw me. We waved and he walked back to the kitchen. Christine and I almost felt bad for coming in while he was working.


     The sandwich comes on sourdough bread with scrambled eggs and American cheese on top of ham with Swiss cheese. I had already started eating it when Christine informed me that I hadn't yet taken a picture, thus the bite marks. The sourdough was a perfect golden brown and very buttery. The mix of the two cheeses on either end of the eggs and ham had a nice flavor. I'm not a huge scrambled eggs fan but these weren't bad, but I did find myself taking them out a few bites into the second half. I wasn't really thrilled with the ham despite eating it all. A thick piece of ham steak would have been great but more costly I'm sure. Denny's is a nice place to go when you want breakfast at any hour day or night but I think I'll stick to diners for the most part.
Rating: Satisfying – Improve the ham and we may have a winner.

1 comment:

  1. Go for the Grand Slamwich next time. A heart attack served up on yummy potato bread sweetened with a touch of maple syrup :) It is my absolute favorite, and probably the reason why I am going to be the fat bridesmaid at your wedding! Love, Amber

    ReplyDelete