Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Syracuse Sandwich: The Greene Turtle's Chesapeake Chicken

Who: The Greene Turtle What: The Chesapeake Chicken
Where: Rehoboth Beach Phone: (302)644-6840 Website: Greene Turtle
Parking: Street Accepts Credit Cards: Yes Take-Out: Yes Delivery: No
     This is the second installment of a two part series of sandwiches from Delaware. I would have ordered more sandwiches but there were so many things I wanted to try down there that I never really got around to it. This second sandwich was an interesting one and nothings like what I’ve seen around Syracuse. The Chesapeake Chicken is a grilled chicken breast served on a roll with lettuce, tomato, bacon, and the kicker: crab dip. I thought to myself: “Crab on chicken?...Why not?”. While I waited for this intriguing sandwich to come out we ordered pretzel sticks with a cheese sauce. The pretzels sticks were thick pieces of pretzel bread that came salted. You can check them out on Dan in the Kitchen.
     The sandwich comes standard with homemade kettle chips on the side or you can substitute fries like Christine did for $0.99 more. A thick and very juicy chicken breast dominated this sandwich from start to finish which was good and bad at the same time. With each bite I tasted mostly grilled chicken while the other ingredients fell by the wayside. I love grilled chicken which is why I ordered the sandwich in the first place but I ordered it for the toppings mostly. Two thick strips of bacon were warm and crispy but didn’t add much flavor due to the overpowering chicken flavor. The crab dip was so fresh which was to be expected being right on the ocean and all. Cheese and crab with some seasonings combined to make a tasty spread on top of the chicken. I regret not ordering the dip as an appetizer. The lettuce and tomato showed up to the show but offered little help. Overall, not a bad sandwich but the chicken was a little much.
Rating: Satisfying – Not the best from Delaware but it wasn't bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment