Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Ham from home


    It brings me back to my childhood when I have a ham sandwich on white bread with American cheese and yellow mustard. So in an attempt to bring back some of those childhood memories, I went out to buy the necessary ingredients. I have been craving ham for a few weeks so while I was at Wegmans I grabbed a half of a pound of their 97% fat free ham. I know that this kind of ham is packed with water and other fillers, unlike other kinds like ham off the bone, but it just tastes so good. For the bread I bought seeded Italian sandwich bread, this is very much like regular white bread but a bit larger and has sesame seeds in the crust. I almost bought yellow American slices to exactly duplicate the sandwich I used to have, but I knew we had white slices at home so I didn’t waste my money. We had yellow mustard at home but when I got to the condiment aisle this mission took a detour. In the mustard section I saw a new product by Kraft.
     There were three different kinds of these sandwich shop mayos. I went with the Dijon horseradish version because it had the mustard flavor I wanted and I love horseradish so it seemed like a perfect fit. Over the years I have switched out the mustard for mayo when making ham sandwiches so this was a kind of happy medium.
     The mayo had a great taste and you can pick out each of the flavors if you take your time to investigate. The ham was just as I remembered it and American cheese compliments it well. The Italian bread was good but I think it makes a better toast than it does sandwich bread. My mission for recreating the sandwich I remember will have to wait because it is my responsibility to try new condiments, breads, cheeses, and meats in order to report back to the masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment