Monday, May 17, 2010

Roast Beef from home


     This week’s sandwich from home was taking a turn for the better but fell short in the bread category. I stopped at Spera’s to buy some ground beef to make chili with this up coming week and picked up some roast beef while I was there. It’s no just any roast beef though, it’s Spera’s cooked in store roast beef. Boar’s head is the best lunch meat you can buy but nothing beats meat that has been roasted in store. To go on the roast beef I bought some horseradish cheddar per Christine’s suggestion. I’ve purchased it before but never had any because it was for Christine. I topped the meat and cheese with the Dijon horseradish sandwich shop mayo that I bought last week. I thought the horseradish from both the mayo and the cheese would be overwhelming but it wasn’t.
     Roast beef goes well with cheddar and the sharper the cheese the better. I’ve never had a roast beef without mayo and frankly I don’t think it is right to do so. The Dijon in the mayo didn’t really go well with the roast beef but it didn’t ruin the sandwich. The bread on the other hand almost did just that. I bought a loaf of white bread made with whole grain from Wegmans. If you are making a sandwich, do NOT buy this bread. It is very flimsy and doesn’t hold the fillings in very well. With each bite the bread flattened down and even though I only used a little mayo, the bread became soggy. I should have bought regular sandwich bread but I wanted to try something a little bit healthier. I will not make that mistake again…just kidding. There are healthier breads out there, Wegmans just doesn’t make good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment